Sunday, March 25, 2007

mind flood

ok, so apparently this site won't work on my extremely slow res cable. so this entrys going to be a heck of a long one.

yesterday i went to burlington to meet up with my dad for dinner. it was a good time, but i really enjoyed the fact that it gave me a ton of time to just sit and listen to music. for the whole trip, i listened to Sam Roberts "We Were Born in a Flame" (which i'm listening to right now as well, because it's pure genious), The Shins' "Wincing the Night Away" (don't even get me started on this album), most of The Decemberists' "The Crane Wife" (friday! third row! yes!), The Arcade Fire's "Neon Bible" (the most amazing, haunting album) and most of Modest Mouse's "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank" (sooo good. this coming from someone who did NOT like their last record.) I even got to flip through all the music magazines that have been collecting at home since the last time I left, courtesy of dad. I love it when music seems to team up with speed when you're travelling, it makes the journey so much more interesting. When people seem to walk to the beat. I can't get over how good the end of 06 beginning of 07 has been for music so far. So many good cds have been released and it's only march! If you get a chance, listen to these records. You won't be dissapointed. Also, does it drive you crazy when you're walking the streets and see everyone with headphones on, and you just want to know what they're listening to? edit :: I just downloaded the Apples in Stereo's new cd "New Magnetic Wonder" and i've listened to half of it so far and it's AMAZING. check it out.

When I got back from meeting up with my dad, I watched "The US vs. John Lennon" with Vanessa and her friend Inga. What a fantastic movie. Lennon was soo ridiculously interesting. It just makes you think... he was only fighting for peace. and if that's so hard, what in god's name could be next that would be even harder? The battle will never be won. He was so ahead of his time. I also liked the fact that they barely even touched the Beatles in this movie. It focused on what he was truely fighting for. I've been going through a Beatles phase lately though.

So I got my yearly stress cold this weekend, and it's given me time to do absolutely nothing in days and just relax. time to slow down. i'm feeling better, still sick, but i'm ready to tackle this week, which will be a killer. whatever though.. i'm accepting this stress factor, especially because i know in the years to come, it's just going to get worse. i'm ready for the challenge though. i'll be dedicated.

This weekend made me realize how much i need this summer not to just have fun with my friends, but to focus on myself. I'm going to go through my dad's records and learn the classics. I'm going to learn how to cook. I'm going to read a lot. I'm going to lose that weight i keep saying i'll lose. I am going to work on my writing. I'm going to get a job. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to be reunited with friends & the good times, but I really need this summer to improve myself. It will also be my last summer in Buffalo. (So strange.) PS -- it's a tragic summer of harry potter, hehe.

I've had some great conversations this weekend. One consisted of someone saying "you're feeling the pressure to please" and one consisted of agreeing on how confidence is so completely key in so many things. Two great lessons, and so true. They're huge weights at this point in my life, and I've got to stay on top of it.

One thing I'm going to miss like crazy from here is my view.


question: what's your favourite record of this year so far?

PS -- you MUST check out this movie trailer. it's AMAZING. and all beatles. i can't get over it!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/acrosstheuniverse/large.html

3 comments:

Corey said...

A Weekend in the City - Bloc Party
&
This Is Just The Beginning - The Reason

jess said...

awesome.. bp's new one dissapointed me though, so sad :(

Anonymous said...

Well written article.